BABYwatch terror alert: meet ramona!

happy birthday!
happy birthday!

ramona astrid xyerra-taber was born last night at 11:37pm va emergency cesarean after a trial of labor foiled by severe pre-eclampsia. she is 17.75 inches long & weighs four pounds, eleven ounces. she was pink & angry & hollering. she is now in the NICU at overland park medical center getting CPAP therapy & intravenous nutrition (including colostrum). she was born at 32 weeks, 6 days. i am in recovery, trying to heal from the surgery & toxemia. more later!

1. Elle says:

Eeeeee!!! I’ve been neurotically checking in here to see – Congrats!! She’s gorgeous and feisty looking!! I hope your recovery is going well & that she is getting fat and happy with yer colostrum…. Happy new mamahood!!
    xo

thanks! my recovery went quite well & i’m almost all the way back to normal. still the occasional twinge in the incision area, but that’s par for the course. ramona is doing great as well–back home & over seven pounds now! she’s about the size of the average full-term newborn, which is great, because there’s still two weeks to go until my would-have-been due date. she would have been a bruiser had she gone to term!

2. Elle says:

P.S. – Also – brilliant names! Well played!

thanks! i’m embarrassed by how long it took me to think of the name ramona, but once it occurred to me, i was like, “oh yeah, that’s the one.”

3. Q says:

Yay, baby!!!! All the best to you all.

4. Zeal says:

Congratulations! So glad she came out screaming!

5. Oh, wow! Congratulations, what a cutie!

6. andrea says:

Congratulations! I love those names. Hope your recovery goes well.

thanks! i am all recovered & hopefully will be cleared to go back to swimming next week. ramona is also doing great!

7. laura says:

congratulations!!

8. johanna says:

Such great news, congrats to you and Jared!

9. arbrefleur says:

She’s beautiful!!! Congratulations. So happy it all worked out and y’all are a family. Get home soon, Ramona!

she’s home now! thanks! i hope you’re doing great too!

10. katalopolis says:

Beautiful baby!
    Excellent naming choices, Astrid is our top name for a girl.

thanks! i actually don’t know how much “astrid” suits ramona. i’m glad we didn’t use it as a first name. but we’ll see if she grows into a bit when she gets older.

11. lifewithgusto says:

She is gorgeous! Well done. And what a brilliant picture. I hope you both recover well and quickly.

thanks! we are both doing great now!

12. Helen says:

congratulations and welcome to little ramona! so pleased that she arrived healthy. x

thanks! in retrospect, she was on a ventilator & getting surfactant treatments at first, so “healthy” in this respect is kind of a contextual thing. she was not healthy at all compared to your average full-term infant. but in the context of the NICU, she was doing great! & now that she’s home, she’s healthy as a horse. we were very lucky.

13. 8westwood says:

Congratulations! Wishing you both a speedy recovery and return home.

14. kathrynnolfi says:

Wow! I’ve been reading your pregnancy updates from the beginning. I just had my baby 5 weeks ago at 35 weeks and she was in the nicu for nine days. I wish the best for you, your partner, and ramona. It’s really hard and you’re not alone.

15. kathrynnolfi says:

Wow! I’ve been following your blog since the beginning. I just had my baby 5 weeks ago at 35 weeks. While we were very fortunate, the nine days she was in the nicu were very hard. Im wishing you, your partner , and ramona strength and happiness.

thanks! yeah, i think any amount of time in the NICU is going to be difficult. ramona was finally freed after 24 days. i can’t even imagine being one of those parents whose baby has to stay in the NICU for months. unfathomable.

16. Melissa says:

Congratulations! Such a relief to hear that Ramona has been born! Love the name & best of luck to you all!